Sunday, August 8, 2010

A New Story


I decided that I'm going to start training for a half marathon. I've done it once before, last November. But it was in the midst of a lot of drama in my life and it took a lot out of me. So I've decided that I'm going to do it again. This time with more vigor and focus. Isn't it peculiar how we can go so long in life wanting to do so many things and never end up doing them? Why is that? Sometimes I want to be a fashion designer, a painter, a writer, a 9 to 5er - that last one happens very rarely. Then I realized you really can be whoever and whatever you want. And there is actually no judge that sits around deeming us as these "things". We just choose to do them. If I want to be a painter on a friday afternoon, I'm going to paint. If I want to be a fashion designer next Sunday, I'm going to get out my sewing machine. It's that easy, right? I hope so! I'm going to give it a try.


So right now I want to be a runner. Really what I want to be is a healthy person with purpose. So running is a part of that process and I am becoming proactive! This is the new story that I'm making for my life. As Donald Miller in, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years (my current read), puts it, "Your life is a blank page, you write on it". It's ambitious but I think the pay off is going to be so rewarding.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen, I DEFINITELY understand what you are saying. With running, it's such a challenge for me. I did my first half marathon 3 yrs ago & trained all by myself, definitely an experience! I did my 2nd one this past April and it was better for me mentally and physically. I'm still slow :) but I'm working on challenging myself with speed. I'll never be fast but I can at least see what my body can do. Also, running DOES help me to be healthy, with a purpose. And it's what I like to call "Michelle and God time" when I run :) Good luck with your training! If we didn't live so far away from each other, I'd love to run with you sometime!

Rhoda said...

you can do it friend! i gotta get my head in the game to be ready for November...Zumba is still a part of my summer.

Anonymous said...

Go so long in life wanting things without actually doing them = tatoooooooooooos!!